Things to do in Jersey: Satisfy your palate and your wallet at TennerfestWednesday 16 October 2019 by Kayleigh Little Tennerfest, the iconic fixed price food festival of the Channel Islands is back for another long-awaited residency and is forecast to be as successful as always. Running from 1st October – 11th November 2019, this appropriately named event consists of secret menus carrying low price tags which visitors from far and wide are invited to enjoy.
Combining the best fresh produce with top chefs to celebrate the varied (and extremely delicious) cuisine of the island, it’s not hard to see why the locals feel the need to celebrate their delicacies at Tennerfest. Surrounded by crystal waters offering the finest range of seafood as well as many luscious fertile farmlands, high quality and locally sourced food is entrenched into the islanders’ culture. And rightly so, they want to shout about it! Even better, Tennerfest takes place out of season so you can enjoy the island’s best food and drink whilst avoiding the summer crowds.
Enjoy a tasty Tennerfest treat at some of the island’s most-loved eateries, many of which are highly accredited. Jersey actually holds the highest number of Michelin starred restaurants outside London, while others boast prestigious markers such as AA rosettes and a variety of other foodie awards. Over the years the event has proved so popular that now over 200 venues take part and their menus, already bursting at the seams with incredible flavour, continue to expand. At many of the locations you can enjoy two to four course menus at set prices of £10, £12.50, £15, £17.50 or £20 per head as well as some delicious gourmet menus which offer tasty choices for any and all appetites.
Crabby Jacks photo credit: @domi254
Top choices for £10
- JB’s Brewhouse; A BBQ Smokehouse with craft brewery, live music and ping pong.
- Les Ormes Brasserie; Enjoy alfresco dining overlooking the stunning surroundings.
- Rosso Pizza and Bar; Authentic stone baked pizza using only the finest ingredients.
Top choices for £12.50
- Indian Ocean; A unique and delicious take on traditional Indian cuisine.
- Mora; Homemade food lovingly prepared using local ingredients.
- Samphire; All-day casual dining options and a killer cocktail list to accompany.
Top choices for £15
- Crabby Jacks; Fun, friendly restaurant ideal for families.
- Dix Neuf; Café, restaurant and bar incorporating French brasserie influences.
- Sawatdi; Delicious Thai restaurant and takeaway.
Top choices for £17.50
- Sumas Restaurant; Offering picturesque dining by the sea.
- Casa Mia Restaurant; Fresh combination of Italian and Mediterranean cuisine.
- Moitas Bistro; Authentic family-run Portuguese restaurant opposite the Havre des Pas bathing pool.
Top choices for £20
- Bass and Lobster Foodhouse; Rural restaurant combining the best of land and sea.
- Balthazar; Modern steak and seafood restaurant situated at The Quay.
- Gradees Restaurant; Cosy restaurant specialising in daily fresh fish options.
The traditional flavour of the Channel Islands has a distinct Anglo-French taste, with some areas incorporating a Portuguese influence. Whilst this is the common theme, an abundance of other cuisines are also available from French and Chinese to Indian and Italian. Be sure to try to the chef’s specialities of island-inspired dishes such as Gâche mélée (a dessert made with apples) and bean crock, a bean-based dish that’s generally healthy, filling and especially tasty.
Tennerfest is a great excuse for a last-minute staycation as you’ll get to explore this infamous collection of British islands encapsulating Jersey, Alderney, Guernsey, and many more smaller islands. With so many locations to choose from you’ll be inundated with a huge variety of dining options including cosy restaurants, gastro pubs, hotels, bistros and cafes – each extremely passionate about the dishes they offer.
Photo credit: @pickupapumpkin_
Make the most of it by booking a weekend away in Jersey
If you’re travelling to the Channel Islands this autumn and looking for fun things to do, Tennerfest is a great shout which won’t break the bank. Whether you’re staying for just the one night, or want to make the most of the festival and stay all throughout the month, our serviced apartments in Jersey offer the perfect place to base yourself. Situated just a short distance from the town centre, business district and the delightful waterfront of St Helier, they’re also within close proximity to many of the restaurants taking part in this year’s Tennerfest celebrations such as Blush, Café Spice, Wildfire Grill and Soy Seafood and Sushi Bar. The festivities are especially enjoyable as a family day out, so if you do want to bring the little ones with you then rest assured our apartments at SACO Jersey – Merlin House are the perfect size to accommodate. All of our studio, one and two bedroom apartments are designed with comfort and space in mind, giving you and your cohort plenty of room to relax, work or entertain.
Don’t forget, you can save up to 15% on all website bookings when you sign up to our newsletter – as if you needed any more of an excuse to book a Jersey break! Sign up and save today.