How To Plan Your Next UK StaycationMonday 09 November 2020 by Kayleigh Little Taking a holiday abroad isn’t always easy. They’re expensive, time-consuming and it’s almost impossible to make a decision about where to go. Do you opt for sun? Sea? Snow? But now, it’s even more difficult to venture outside of the UK. The good news is, there’s never been a better time to make the most of what the UK has to offer. But where do you start?
Who says you need to head to a luxury resort or travel far and wide for a worthwhile break? If you fancy the idea of spending your holiday on the beach, visiting famous cities, soaking up the countryside or even just taking some well-earned time out, our UK staycation ideas prove that there really is no place like home.
What are the benefits of a staycation holiday?
When it comes to choosing a UK staycation, there are endless options to weigh up. But regardless of where you end up going, you’ll still benefit from all the perks that come with a staycation holiday, such as:
- Less travel time – not only are you saving yourself from the jet lag and tiring airport trips, but you’re also contributing to helping out the planet by reducing the impact of greenhouse gases.
- Less planning – whether you’re a ‘close your eyes and jump’ kind of person, or you prefer to plan every little detail of your holiday, you’ll still spend less time on the organisation side of things, because a staycation is much easier to prepare for. And remember…there’s no time difference!
- More luggage – without the constraints of airport weighing scales, you can actually overpack for once (and not feel guilty about it!).
- More leisure time – holidaying abroad tends to mean that you lose two of your vacation days to travelling. If you’re heading on a holiday that’s much closer to home, you’ll have much more free time.
- More personal – a staycation holiday is much more personal to you, which means you don’t have to be around other people for your entire trip. Think about it, no loud plane passengers, no crowded swimming pools, no fighting over the front spot at the luggage carousel, no all-inclusive buffet queues…the list goes on.
UK staycation ideas
Need a few UK staycation ideas for some inspiration? We’ve got you covered…
Enjoying some retail therapy
Forget about travelling long distance to Dubai or hopping on a plane to New York. Whether you prefer quirky vintage shops, designer outlets, souvenir shopping or a good old fashioned market, the UK has plenty of destinations that will fulfil your retail therapy needs. What’s more, you don’t have to worry about exchange rates, bartering in another language or trying to stuff everything you’ve bought into your suitcase for the return trip!
Best locations for shopping:
- Chester – you can dive head first into the UK’s biggest designer shopping outlet at Cheshire Oaks, or you can explore the beautiful, historical high street that’s full to the brim with stores, cafes, bars and restaurants.
- Manchester – looking for vintage bargains or searching for somewhere to do a charity shop haul? Northern Quarter. Venturing out for a shopping spree where designer and high street options are all in one place? The Trafford Centre. Want to soak up the city’s culture while dabbling in a bit of window shopping? Market Street. When it comes to treating yourself, you can’t go wrong with Manchester.
- London – you can’t talk about shopping without giving our capital the credit it deserves. From Oxford Street and Westfield shopping centre, to Portobello Road market and Carnaby Street, you could spend an entire week shopping in London and still not cover every corner.
Seeing the sights
UK culture has evolved from 2000 years of fascinating history, which has brought a wealth of art, literature, architecture and technology with it. These cultural movements have helped make the modern cities and towns throughout the country what they are today. From getting a glimpse into Shakespearian times in Stratford-upon-Avon, to going back in time to the swinging 60s in Liverpool, we should never underestimate the sights and experiences that are right on our doorstep.
Best locations for sight-seeing:
- Bath – a delight to explore on foot, Bath is the perfect place to soak up the sights. From the Thermae Bath Spa and the Theatre Royal to the Roman Baths and Bath Abbey, you’ll find it easy to experience all the charm and character that this historical city has to offer.
- Liverpool – do youlove music, art and pretty buildings? Liverpool is the place for you. Full to the brim with eccentric street art, intriguing side streets and a stunning skyline, you’ll have endless options of places to see and things to do in this down-to-earth city.
- Edinburgh – easily one of the most scenic spots in Scotland, Edinburgh’s classic cobbled streets lead to places like the Royal Mile, Grassmarket, Old Town and Edinburgh Castle. And you won't be far from all of the city's best bits when you book your weekend away in a serviced holiday apartment with SACO.
Exploring the UK’s natural beauty
With 10 national parks and a further 34 areas of outstanding natural beauty to offer, you’ll never get bored of the scenic UK views. If you like walking, hiking, cycling or road tripping through beautiful landscapes, you’ll be hard pressed to find somewhere as pleasing to the eye as the UK.
Best locations for walking and nature:
- Lake District – world famous for its mountains, valleys, villages, coastlines and quaint towns, the Lake District brings you face to face with mesmerising views at every turn.
- Peak District – right in the heart of the country, you can visit the beautiful market towns of Bakewell, Matlock, Ashbourne and Leek, while also soaking in the breath-taking views of the untouched countryside. If you like the best of both worlds, you can book your staycation accommodation in the bustling city of Derby to explore both the rural and urban worlds of the Peak District.
- Snowdonia – a staycation in North Wales isn’t complete without visiting the mountains and glacial landforms of Snowdonia National Park. The park's historic railway takes you all the way to the summit, offering astonishing views across the sea to Ireland.
Getting adventurous on the beach
Got a talent for surfing or water boarding? Enjoy immersing yourself in a bit of crabbing, snorkelling, diving or rock climbing? Or do you just love feeling the sand between your toes? Having a staycation in the UK doesn’t mean compromising on your love of the beach.
Best locations for the beach:
- Cornwall – renowned for its white sandy beaches, delectable seafood and surfing prowess, Cornwall has a picturesque bay or beach around every corner. From St Ives and Padstow to Penzance and Newquay, you’ll have a hard time choosing where to set up your parasol!
- Brighton – the perfect staycation holiday for the entire family, Brighton has it all – the beaches, the pier, the weather, the entertainment, the sights and the sea views.
- Cardiff – booking a staycation holiday with the kids? With Cardiff just a short drive away from popular attractions like Barry Island, the kids will never be bored of the old fashioned amusement parks, beach funfairs and fish and chip suppers on offer. And for you, landmarks like Cardiff Castle, Cardiff Bay and the Millennium Centre are waiting to be explored. Book your holiday apartment in Cardiff today.
Holiday apartments for the whole family
It’s all well and good talking about the best places to venture out to on a UK staycation holiday. But the most important factor of any trip away is the accommodation - and you’ll want somewhere to stay that’s comfortable, convenient, clean and maybe even luxurious. After all, going on holiday is all about escapism and relaxation, so wherever you stay needs to offer just that. Luckily, SACO have a variety of UK serviced apartments that are perfect for the whole family.
Our holiday apartments offer space, comfort and the real home away from home experience that puts you right at the heart of the action. Each of our studio, one and two bedroom apartments boast modern furnishings, a fully-equipped kitchen, a cosy living and dining area, sumptuous king-size beds and bathrooms with power showers. So wherever you’re staying, you can relax and unwind in a holiday apartment that has everything you’ll need for a memorable staycation.